A popular question for us here at Expert Home Advisors is, “How do I pick the best real estate agent to sell my home?” Today we will give you seven questions you should ask when interviewing a real estate agent to help you answer this question.
Did you know that 20% of real estate professionals in Jacksonville sell approximately 90% of the homes on the market? This fact brings up many of the questions you should be asking.
1) How long have you been in business and how many homes have you sold? The average real estate agent sells fewer than six homes a year and very few homes are sold for over 95% of asking price. Many agents will get you only about 90% which means that for a $200,000 home you’re only getting $180,000.
2) What is your average list-to-sale price ratio and what is your average days on market? In Jacksonville, many agents only sell about six homes per year. If an agent is only selling one or two homes a quarter, how can you trust the agent’s judgment of what it’s going to take to sell your home? We find many homes sell for about 90% of asking price to offer price. Our ratio, meanwhile, is as high as 105%. It is very important that you pick the right agency to get you the most amount of money.
3) What is your best marketing plan or strategy to get my home sold? Not all agents are the same, so you want to find out what their marketing strategy is to get your home sold for the fastest, most amount of money in your pocket.
4) What are the top three things that separate you from the other real estate agents? We have a direct response team that outbound markets and makes 900 to 1,200 phone calls a day. We work a database of over 25,000 buyers to try to get your home sold. We have fully staffed support services for staging photography, 3-D tour, and any other services that you need. We also have a full-time transaction manager including vendors that we can pull from for anything that your home needs.
5) What does their network look like? You want to know what vendors they have. Do they have two or three people they can call for any issue that’s going to happen in your house and have staff that can help execute and coordinate the repairs. Maybe you need your house painted and you need to get multiple quotes on that. Or, maybe you get someone out quickly to do something. That is what an experienced professional can do for you versus the methods of an average agent.
6) What do they charge? One of the things that we like to focus on is that commission is a necessary evil. You can focus on the amount of commission that you pay, or you can do the net that you’re going to get based on the methods that we offer. This allows us to provide some flexible commission alternatives for you. For example, if you refer people to us or you’re going to buy a home there could be a 0% commission.
7) What kind of guarantee do you offer? For example, we have a guaranteed sale program where we guarantee we are going to sell your home at a price and deadline we can agree to, or we will step in and have it bought for cash. That is a solid guarantee that requires being really good at getting your home sold. I recommend that you go on Zillow or other websites to see how many sales the real estate professional has made and what kind of reviews that they’re getting. You want to make sure your real estate agent has a guarantee.
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I look forward to speaking with you soon.